Sunday, September 18, 2016

Ted Talk


   In my own personal experience, I have felt invisible many times as a young black woman. One example of this occurred last weekend. My husband and I went to a well known reputable car dealership in hopes of purchasing a new vehicle. This was on a Sunday so the car lot was quite and empty, there was another couple looking at cars at the same time we were. So it took about ten minutes for someone to finally approach my husband and I in the parking lot. So when this individual approached us he was a young Spanish man. We didn't think anything at the time so he helped us out and we test drove a couple of the cars that we were interested in and so fourth. By the second car we drove the conversations became comfortable and somewhat personal. The young  man stated that he was glad that the other sales men asked him to assist my husband and I. So I asked the question why was that why the other men would ask him to do that and his response was that they felt he would be a better fit to assist of as he could relate to us better and they probably won't purchase a car anyway. They are probably just looking around and he could use the experience. After we returned to the car my husband and  I decided that car dealership was not the right place for our business. Needless to say we went to another car lot down the street where hopefully stereotyping, discrimination, and racism was not obvious. This is exactly how Hobson felt when she was mistaken for the "HELP" at the luncheon that she was invited to.

 From my perspective I still view visibility in the same manner. I feel as a black woman I understand her view on this matter but my perception is the same before I heard the speech. Although I agree with Hobson statement We need to get comfortable with the uncomfortable". As she used the example of the room filled with all blacks at a prominent meeting. Must people would think that this is a weird situation unlike a meeting with all white males the expected.

"Be color brave observe your environment invite people in your life that are different from you". This is a powerful statement. When I became more diverse in my own personal  life,I became open-mined rather than closed-minded. This has been one of the better decision I have made to becoming a better individual in society.
As an environment like Youth In Action could be an antidote to invisibility in many ways. These are a few examples of some of the things YIA do to work against the unwanted conditions that they are trying to make a difference and a better community.

  • Those involved in this program believe that they can change their communities.
  • They believe that all youth have equal opportunity , they can achieve this by working together.
  • They are taking action, by being leaders within their schools and community.
  • They have a voice that is respected by peers and adults.
  • Youth participates in public speaking which show leadership.


                                                 


8 comments:

  1. Hi Marika,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I specially loved the car dealership story! I think it made your post so much more personal and interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Marika,
    I am so sorry you had that experience at the car dealership. That is so awful! I have had the experience of having repair shops speak to men instead of me because I am a woman, but nothing that can compare to that. I really enjoyed your blog. It was very well organized and visually appealing. I agree that becoming comfortable with the uncomfortable is a necessary step for change. Talking about things like you did in your post is very important. Thank you.

    Take care,
    Madelin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Marika,
    I am so sorry you had that experience at the car dealership. That is so awful! I have had the experience of having repair shops speak to men instead of me because I am a woman, but nothing that can compare to that. I really enjoyed your blog. It was very well organized and visually appealing. I agree that becoming comfortable with the uncomfortable is a necessary step for change. Talking about things like you did in your post is very important. Thank you.

    Take care,
    Madelin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marika, I really enjoyed reading your post. The car dealership experience was very brave to share and cannot ever imagine treating others this way. Great use of technology as well as keeping the blog post organized with pictures. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marika,
    Thank you for sharing your experience at the car dealership. It really tied together as both a personal experience along with a better understanding of this topic. Your post was very easy to read and organized very well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marika,
    I enjoyed reading your blog, I am sorry about your experience with the car dealership. I am glad you were able to share your story and relate it to the racism factor of Hobson's TedTalk.
    Thank You For Sharing,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marika,

    I enjoyed reading your blog. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. It is very sad to say that people are just judgmental in society. Thank you for sharing.

    Mallory

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your story Marika. It was real, and I appreciated that you shared your story. I too am sorry that something like that happened to you guys. It's terrible that people are judged automatically by what they look like.

    ReplyDelete