Saturday, September 24, 2016

Nakkula and Toshalis

My story of the people who has impacted me over the years....




This is a list of the names of individuals who have coauthored with me during my lifetime.
1. Hildred
2. Steve
3. Frederick 3rd
4. Aniya
5. Steve                                                             
6. Fern
7. Ms.Dubois
8. Michelle
9. Mr. Maguire
10.Rochelle


This is my story

The person I chose to write about that impacted me the most on coauthoring with me is Rochelle. This is because this is the person I wanted to be like until I was an adult . When I became an adult I realized that she was not someone I would to have as a role model in my professional nor social life. My assessment on this relationship at the time was caring, indifferent at times. I dealt with this woman for many years of my life. The duration of this relationship was for my entire high school years and several years after I graduated high school as I was friends with her daughter.


Although Rochelle seemed to have my best interest at the time of our relationship as the school social worker, she has impacted my life in a negative manner. Again I did not realize that this was a negative relationship until I was sent into the real world and seen a different aspect of professionalism which is something that she lacked in many way. For example, when students confined in her with private issue of their own she would discuss this private matters with her daughter and I at their home. Another example, is that she would play a role as a caring individual portraying to have the best interest of the students but in fact she would discuss these issues with other parents of students in school.
                                                                                                                      

She would enable me and my friends to fail. This is interesting to me as I reflect on this because at the time when I was learning and experiences these difficulties I was unaware of what was really going on. She was not encouraging positive behaviors of an educator. She was more attempting to fit in with the young individuals in the school setting therefore she would allow disruptive behavior along with allowing some of us the "CREW" to not abiding with the school rules and policies. 


However, there were some positive aspects to our relationship. She taught me many life skills that I use to this day. Although these experiences I had with this woman has assist with my views on society and societal issues. It also impacted me as a young black girl growing up in Providence during that era. Similarly to the story of Ms. Petersen and Antwon in "The Construction of Adolescence". However my experience discussed above was many years ago. Currently  this woman is currently working with youth in a similar environment like the way one I received my education in and she still have the same views and coauthoring still as she had prior. Unfortunately the same experiences I had with this woman who was involved in my life in so many different aspects is currently still conducting herself in the same manner. Someone I know is enrolled in a program that she is the director of and like me has very similar story as mines.

Too many stories like Antwon and Ms. Petersen still occur in the public school system to date. My teenage children experienced similar stories. Teachers neglecting students needs intentionally or unintentional because, they are not sure how deal with individuals that are different than them.


Words that were unfamiliar to me......
tangential
parameters
litany

Words that were relevant to reading....
tested knowledge
theoretical thinking
theoretical imagination
construction of adolescene
coauthorship
proximal development
reciprocal coauthorship




5 comments:

  1. Hi Marika,

    I really like how you shared your own experience with the woman you wanted to be like, a school social worker. Some ethical professionalism she was portraying and not displaying very well! After learning and reviewing some of the NASW in our Social Work course content, it is sad not just that she is doing something practically illegal but abusing her position's trust and confidence clause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marika,
    I am sorry this relationship had a negative affect on you. It seems as though she was trying to fit in with the students rather than help and guide them. How did you realize she was negatively affecting your life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marika,
    I agree with Lauren's comment that it seems she was trying to fit in with the students rather than guide them. I'm glad you could share the positive impact she had on your life rather than sharing all the negative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marika, thanks for sharing about this relationship. I am sorry that it had such a negative affect on you. I'm glad you were able to realize how she is not someone you want to be like as well as turning it into a positive impact at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marika, I like how you have a persona story however I am sorry you had a negative experience with your professor. I am sure it has made you a better person.

    ReplyDelete